Friday, March 09, 2007

Not Bored With The Message Board

by Richard Sweet, Associate A.D. for Marketing & Public Relations

I like ponyfans.com as a complement to our official site, smumustangs.com. I think it’s a well-run site and I appreciate the feature articles that are appear on the site. I have been so caught up in the work that I’m doing at SMU, I rarely have time to be a fan. Believe it or not, ponyfans.com provides some of the insight and entertainment I’m looking for after a long day at the office.

Working in college athletics is no easy task folks. Hopefully when the toughest of the work is done here, I’ll get to sit back and enjoy the fruits of our labor as we play for championships in front of sold-out stadiums (there are some of the hardest-working people I ever been associated with working in this department to make Mustang fans’ dreams come true).

Oh yes, the message board on ponyfans.com… it has become incredibly interesting, entertaining, frustrating, and heartbreaking to me now that I visit it as an employee of the athletic department. I had been visiting ponyfans.com for years as an interested fan and now I visit it for another reason as well. For years, marketers craved instant feedback from customers who had just experienced their product. The internet and sites like ponyfans.com provides just that. It’s a review by some of our best (and sometimes toughest) critics. Correctly filtered, it provides very useful information… filtered I said. As an insider now, I’m amazed at how on-track some of the know-it-alls are and how far off-track other know-it-alls are. Sometimes the same know-it-all is on- and off-track on the same topic. I laugh out loud as I read it, curse as I read it, I almost shed a tear as I read it… I said “almost” because we all know there is no crying in baseball… oh wait, we don't have baseball… I’ll bet someone posts about baseball… again. I’m amazed by the knowledge, shocked by the cruelty, saddened by the naivety, and ultimately satisfied by a topic’s self-correctibility (I love to make up words; it’s a sign of creativity).

In the end, the ponyfans.com message board provides entertainment, market research, and word-of-mouth marketing. It provides a great place to keep fans engaged, allows them to argue, show off, or make fools of themselves. The best thing ponyfans.com does is gets fans ready for the next game - Beat Tech!

Gotta go… gotta find out the latest on the 8-foot, 10-inch point guard Rivals has quoted as being “mildly” interested in SMU.

What did we do with our time before Al Gore invented the internet?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

maybe you can lay off the al gore jokes.

6:20 PM  
Blogger DavidSMU94 said...

Bring Back the Men's Track Program... Al Gore is a joke.

8:59 AM  
Blogger DavidSMU94 said...

Please, wasn't like Al Gore didn't say it. Let's keep to more important topics, like bringing back the men's track program. Richard knows what his program can do to help Football recruit skill positions. Plus SMU has a coach with worldwide credibility to recruit a top 20 team right now. Break the silence, Bring back the men's track team now!

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home