Friday, January 26, 2007

Rumors & Recruiting

by Phil Bennett

The internet is a crazy thing. I have gotten a couple of calls in recent days about some rumors circulating on the web. Let me set the record straight – they’re not true. I am the head coach at SMU and I plan on staying here, building a winning program. I don’t know how this thing got started, but I wanted to end it today.

Right now, Coach Roark and I are out on the road putting the final touches on a class I’m really excited about. I sometimes joke about how dependent my success as a coach is on the actions of 19- and 20-year olds on the field. Recruiting is even tougher – trying to convince 17- and 18-year olds that SMU is where they want to spend the next four or five years. As the parent of teenagers, I can tell you kids aren’t sure where they want to eat lunch in an hour, much less where they want to spend the next half-decade of their lives! Luckily, SMU has tons to offer and it’s easy to “sell” something you believe in – and I believe in SMU. Rest assured, we’re closing strong and I think you guys will be very pleased on Signing Day, February 7. I know I will be!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home